Sunday, September 27, 2015

Week 44: Ultrasounds, chocolate and happiness

I spent the first part of Monday organizing where I'd even be the rest of the week. 

Originally planned was that I would start in the pneumology department. This is a rather small department to start with and they still had an intern planned to be there for the next two weeks. One intern is almost an overdose, so two would have been overkill. I ran between various secretary offices and making calls to the chief of the department. I saw on the official plan that the gastroeneterology department I had been in the last few weeks and which is the biggest of the four internal medicine departments, didn't have an assigned intern. The chief of the department was ecstatic and told me I was more than welcome to stay in the department another week. After talking it over with the pneumology chief and having it noted by the secretary, I was back in the gastro-department. 

The set up of doctors was a bit different this week. I spent a lot of the time placing i.v. lines and drawing blood again but I also spent a lot of time on rounds with the doctors. The two doctors I went with were great! They asked me a bunch of questions. Some I could answer really well, others not so much but they were great at explaining the answer to me and helping me understand why things are as they are. I had some mind blowing moments there. Little things that I just learned during my studies but never really understood why were explained to me. 

Smaller wasn't an option?
I quite enjoy rounds where I'm asked a lot. I don't expect myself to know everything but it gets my brain working and is practice for my exam. The annoying this is when the brain doesn't work. I was asked by which system liver cirrhosis is classified. I definitely knew I knew the answer but all type of other scores started popping into my head and blocking my thought of the right answer. After a few moments I had it but that just felt annoying because I don't want that happening during my exam.

I went on grand rounds as well. Since I had had an informative day of rounds the day before, I was hoping I could shine because the chief would ask about the same questions. Oh how naive Ms. H. (Miss H Dot is what chief calls me, although he actually knows my name). He ended up asking questions that luckily the resident couldn't answer in it entirety either. Its just how chief is. He asserts his superiority with it. That's fine because I end up learning something as well. 

The one doctor took me along to do ultrasound this past week. Instead of him doing it and telling me something, he immediately had me sit down and do it. I'm rather good at finding the kidneys and bladder due to my urology rotation but for the rest of the abdomen, I didn't have a clear system. It ended up being a lot easier than I had imagined it would be. He showed me how to find all the things I needed to look at. Of course, each patient is different and some are easier to examine than others but I definitely feel more confident in examining many parts of the abdomen. 

I watched a few colonoscopies throughout the week. It really is a super important exam everyone over 50 should have. If you fall into that group and haven't had one. Go get it done. Its not a big deal and you're thinking about way to much in your head and worrying about things.....its not a big deal. But it can be a big deal if it helps find something that can be removed.

There were so many sweets on the ward this week. I really tried to hold back most of the time but sometimes it took so long for everyone to be ready for lunch that I just had to chow down a bit. I need to make sure to take more healthy snacks with me in the future so that I'm not as tempted. 

Tuesday evening, I went to see Ali and his family and give them the money I was able to collect. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart to every single person that donated. I can't express how happy it makes me feel inside that there are such nice, helpful people out there. Being able to help Ali and his family is one of my proudest accomplishments and those who donated or donated their time to help me are a part of that happiness. So thank you!



This coming week, I'm only at work for 2 days before heading to Santorini with some members of my family! WOOHOO! I can NOT wait! I've wanted to go to Santorini for the longest time. I hope to have a relaxing week that will get me ready to get down and dirty and study for my practical exam!

Have a good week! Stay healthy!

V

2 comments:

  1. I am now not positive the place you are getting your information, but great topic. I must spend some time studying more or understanding more. Thank you for wonderful info I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

    ultrasound machine for sale
    innovative diagnostic laboratory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty section of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to say that I get actually loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I fulfillment you get right of entry to persistently quickly.
    x ray machines for sale
    ICU equipment

    ReplyDelete