Sunday, January 11, 2015

Week 8: Tulips, Talkative patients, Test preparation & Thai massages


[bawr-ing, bohr-] 
1. causing or marked by boredom
Origin: 1835-45

Boring is not an adjective I would use to describe the first full week back at work.

Monday started the week off with a bang. I was in the hospital until almost 6pm. The day started out with only half of the ward filled with patients and then BAM....the whole ward full from one minute to the next. We also had an oddly over proportionate amount of female patients. Three of them consumed quite a bit of my time which consequently lead to me being in the hospital so long.

Up dark and a good full moon

The first, (understandably frustrated with her progression and constant fall backs in therapy) started to cry while we three doctors were leaving the room. The men left, I stayed, held her hand and comforted her until she had stopped crying.

The second, I merely wanted to take a brief history and fill out the admissions form. In extremely quick twist and turns, the patient brought the topic of conversation to geology, the definition of one's mother language, bilingualism and how she sees the world. There was no stopping it! I tried to redirect the conversation back to the topic at hand thrice....she didn't seem to get the point or at least just didn't care. I was saved by one of the doctors who had to get her informed consent for a procedure. I should note that the male nurse student was in the room before me to fill out the nurses admission form (a normally quick thing) and I waited about 15 minutes for him to be done.

The third was a charm, she's known to the department. A dependent personality. The first time in the room, I had to place a line and she explained her whole medical history to me. She told me others usually have problems placing lines but that she liked my calm and friendly aura and believed that I would be successful. I placed it on the first try. This promoted me to her new personal favorite status. Uh-oh.  That was in the morning. A few minuted before I was ready to pack and leave for the day, the nurse informed me that the patient needed a new line placed since the one from that morning gave up. Greeeeeeeeeat. I spent the next half an hour trying to place a line. I was actively doing something those 30 minutes (had to poke her 4 times before it worked) and she used that time and told me her whole personal history. I couldn't have escaped that even if I wanted to. The line needed to be placed.

By the end of that I was drained. The others had gone to the afternoon meeting without letting me know (they thought I had already left). When I caught up, they were all shocked to see I was still there.  I left the hospital and bought myself tulips as a reward for the day.

We have a new resident and a new intern in the department. The resident was also on my ward. This allowed me to work on some other things during the week. I translated a release letter into English for one doctor, proof read an English paper for another doctor and was able to help the doctor doing admissions with those.

I was treated to a Thai massage on Wednesday!

Best Moment : I was visited by Pat. X this week. He had his follow up meeting with the general surgeon and he is tumor free! I was so happy to hear that. We talked for a bit before I was asked by one of the doctors to do something else. (It was a task on the ward I wasn't really responsible for so it kind of irked me that the task wasn't given to the responsible intern and rather to me just because I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I obviously didn't say that and completed the task.)

Made it out of the hospital in time for the sunset. Score!

Friday, the other intern didn't come at all! I was in a really bad mood already (I'll explain below) and planned on getting my work done and leaving as early as possible to go to the library. Now I was hopping from one ward to the next. Its extremely annoying when a doctor doesn't have a clear plan for the day and rather just throws tasks your way that easily could have been collected at the beginning of the day. I didn't sit down once until lunch. I also didn't leave the ward for the library until 4:30pm.

Wanting to draw blood, can't find clean equipment & then find this in the closet. Not ok. Guess who cleaned up.
Worst moment: I was in such a bad mood because the night before, I had worked on two blocks of questions for the USMLE and it was the worst result I've had yet! I had been steadily increasing my score over the last few weeks so this turn really shocked and upset me. This USMLE business is tough. Its not fun. It consumes almost every free minute I have. Not to mention the constant pressure I feel regardless of what I'm doing. I would much rather spend my nights after work and my weekends doing something else or relaxing but instead I'm spending hours with the USMLE prep. Someone once asked me if I was doing the USMLE on the side....I had the urge to punch him. I'm schduled to take the exam March 30th. So until then, I will still constantly feel pressure, continue to lose hair, continue to have stomach aches, continue to have psoriasis outbreaks  and continue to spend the largest amount of my free time with this stuff.

I spent most of Saturday in the library and have to work on doctor thesis stuff today (my doctor thesis professor sent me an email requesting I put together a presentation of results....perfect timing.......)

I wish you all a lovely Sunday and hope its much more relaxing than mine :)

Stay healthy!


P.S. Recipe: I very often make myself a smoothie in the morning to take to work. The first few weeks I drank a lot of kale smoothies (since it was the beginning kale season) but have now switched to pure fruit smoothies for a while. So delicious and fairly quick to make. Especially with the NutriBullet I have. This week:

Lemon didn't make the cut for the picture.

1 Banana
3 fresh squeezed oranges
1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
1 chunk of papaya


No comments:

Post a Comment