Friday, July 26, 2013

"Turn your head and cough, please!" Day 8 - just keep swimming

Well it was another successful day of sitting around and waiting for something to happen. If anything, I did more office work and management than anything else the first half of the day.

Dr.H working the outpatient department today seemed to always be a step away from a heart attack. I didn't really want to bother him and ask him to show me things in his state. So I sat around and looked for work to do. 

What I do to waste time...

Dr.K gave me a huge pile of patient files that he had received during the morning meeting that needed the diagnoses coded with the DRG system. That was actually kind of fun because I had to look through the files and see what the patient had and then find the code and coolest of all, I had to sign the papers. It gave me a little feeling of power that I had made this decision and it was going to be used. Silly, I know.

At some point Dr.H wanted Dr.W to come down and help out. He showed up temporarily and decided there was nothing for him to do there. The nurses, Dr.H and I preceded the next two hours looking for Dr.W. we paged him, we called all the wards, we asked everyone we saw, I even texted the elective working with him for the day. Nothing. Eventually we found out he was in the OR (odd for him since he doesn't like it there) and thus could not be reached.

I almost gave up on the day and wanted to go home but then the only female doctor in the department at the time came to help out and started taking me to see the patients. She had me be very hands on. I did a testicle ultrasound on two different patients. I drew blood. I did the routine ultrasounds. 

I was excited that she was so active but kept fighting with the thought of wanting to go home and get some sleep before my night shift. We proceeded to go back to the ward and do afternoon rounds before heading back to the urology management department for the afternoon meeting. The other electives were long gone of course. We looked for the attending and found him with the other attending and chief. They were all sitting around and drinking coffee. Do they not have lives? Anyways, at some point the chief asked if they didn't want to let the young colleague, aka me, go home. I told him he didn't have to tell me that twice. See ya!

On the way to my locker I saw that I had a call from my night shift office. I called back to find out that they were giving me the night off because there weren't enough patients that needed us and since I had enough overtime I got the night off.

I quickly went to the grocery store and bought a pizza to eat since I hadn't had a meal since 6:30 that morning and it was already 4PM. It was kind of a little insight into how my residency will someday be. living off of whatever is quick and easy becaue I haven't eaten all day. I also quickly organized a ride to Berlin for my god child's birthday. So now I am sitting on the couch with my cousin and chilling. A nice alternative to 8 more hours hospital. 

I'd like to give a shout out to my big sis Fran for starting med school in Erie Pennsylvania today! I'm happy you get to persue your dream. It's a great one but its also one that at times will break you down, push you to your limits and make you question your decision. Just keep swimming (Dory vocals here). The best of luck! (Everyone can check out her blog

Alright everyone, have a great weekend! See you Monday!

Baci, V

No comments:

Post a Comment