Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Here is a tractor and now I have to go cook some building blocks"....oh kids. Day 3

The more time I spend on this ward, the more I like it and the more I think I'd be a great pediatric doctor. The only aspect that I would miss is the operating room. I could of course be a children's surgeon but then I'm basically only in the OR and don't have the daily encounters that I do right now. So at this point I am still sticking to my plan of becoming an urologist and eventually specializing on the little ones. 

The patient I had planned to interview this morning and present in rounds was at the ENT doctors when I got to work. Apparently the case was a bit more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Instead, I interviewed a 2 year old and his mother because they were admitted last night. The little bugger didn't want to drink the last few days. He was doing a lot better already this morning.

I got all my infos together and went to the patient again with one of the residents to do a physical examination. 

By the time rounds rolled around I was good to go. We went through all the rooms with the same entourage from the last few days. A few more interesting cases, including some rare diseases where admitted.

My presentation was as breeze. A lot easier than I thought it would be. The rest of the rounds was good as well.

My new task was to write a preliminary release note for my patient. I finished up before heading to the morning meeting.

After lunch, I finished up a few things on the ward and started to check in on some of the kids. I played around with some of the patients. They are just so adorable. I feel so at ease on this ward. The staff is friendly, the kids are fun and the parents are, for the most part, very friendly.

I had to leave a bit earlier today to be able to teach English.

The time is really flying in this week long internship. 

I could easily work in this department for a while. But I've got a lot of other things I need to get done.....so the kids will have to wait. Hopefully I'll see a lot of kiddies in Ghana!

Baci
V

No comments:

Post a Comment