Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sure is hot out here.....babies, mall and movies

I've come to terms with the fact that I probably won't know how to do a C section on my own by the time I leave here. The reason is a combination of the doctors not being really inviting to assist, the limited supplies and me not asking because of the knowledge that I would be using up their supplies. I plan on being on the labor ward all week however and at least assist in one.

I spent the morning on the labor and delivery ward with Beth. Since I still haven't seen a spontaneous birth, I went to the 2nd floor in the hopes of seeing one. All I saw in my time there was a doctor examine a lady pregnant with twins and three C sections. I kept walking around checking on the patients to see if anyone was in labor but they were all just hanging out.

I'm at the point where I really don't want to watch another C section unless I'm assisting. I'll probably end up watching more today however. I will try to get every step, every cut and every suture memorized to keep me interested.

I went and picked Erica up in the OB clinic and we went to lunch. At MedDiner, we met up with Katie and Greg. When I went to order, the waitress finished my order for me. I think I might just be the only person who orders white rice and 12 plantains. We chatted while eating and tried to figure out what we wanted to do with the rest of the day. Some wanted to go back to the hospital, Katie and I decided to get some office work done. I stopped by Yaa's store to give her the money for my dresses. I felt really rich carrying 800 Cedis around with me. There were a lot of bills….but in the end it was "only" 300 US Dollars/ 215 Euros.

Back in my room I did some research on possible last year elective spots in the US. IT IS SO HARD! First, there are hardly schools that take international students and second, the ones that do all seem to have factors that make them not work for me: too expensive, their dates don't work with my dates, they don't have Urology as an option (although I might just have to do the general surgery part in the states if I find a program), they are highly competitive spots….there just hasn't been a program yet that looks like it'll work out. I still have a lot of looking around to do.

I had planned on maybe seeing Nana before she left but it was all getting too late for that. The gang and I decided to go to the Accra Mall. They needed to exchange money and wanted to see the mall. I suggested going to the movies as well.

The taxi ride out there took very long because the streets were packed. When we did make it, we went fabric shopping at a fantastic store called Woodin. The prints were a lot more suitable for clothing than a lot of the prints at Kaneshie. I went ahead and bought some for my mom and aunt. I could have taken one of each for me but I know I don't have time to do anything with it when I am back in Germany.

We went to the food court for dinner. I was really craving pizza. It was my lucky day in that the place has a Two for One Tuesdays. Because of this however, it took me a really long time to get my food because there were so many customers and I am sure everyone was having two pizzas made. Two pizzas for 23 Cedis…not bad at all. It took so long though that I didn't have time to eat them and I snuck them into the movie theater with us. We went and watch "About Last Night". I had already seen it in Miami but liked it so much I wanted them to see it and I would watch it again. They enjoyed the movie as well. Even though their were some technical difficulties with the sound at times. (We had had a perfect Captain America experience last week so I felt the difficulties yesterday were a bad first impression for the gang.)

The cab ride back home was much faster because there were no cars on the road.

I'm about to get ready (going to wear one of my new dresses!) and head to the labor and delivery ward to hang out with Erica!

No comments:

Post a Comment