Friday, March 21, 2014

Sure is hot out here... Four hours standing in the hot wards...day 5

My poor back! 

My nights aren't getting much better. My alarm was set for 8:30....I was up and there was no saving it at 7. My roommate did laundry and I posted that report from yesterday.



After getting ready, I headed out. I always know leaving the hostel, I will be completely soaked sweating by the time I get to class. Putting on the lab coat makes it even worse. We were on the obstetric ward today. There are five levels of OB filled to the brim with patients. Most have beds but many also just sleep on a mattress on the floor with their baby. The rounds took...forever!!!! We were there for about 4 hours. Standing around for 4 hours is exhausting, especially in this heat! I thought I was just weak but then the others started shifting their weight, leaning against things, squatting down just to move a bit. We were all getting really tired and trying to figure out how many patients we still had. After four hours, we were through and allowed to go.



I headed to MedDiner, ordered some plantains and rice and got in contact with Alexis. I also had another Blue Skies drink. It's fresh squeezed juice produced here in Ghana. It costs 4 Cedis but is so delicious and in all honesty, that's about a 1€ and totally worth it. I was done with my food by the time Alexis got there. I was so exhausted so I hung out and waited for him to be done as well. I grabbed a taxi back to my place for 3 Cedis. My feet are starting to develop blisters and I don't want to deal with that the next few weeks. 


I took a two hour nap and was sweating so much. It's insane. I don't know if it was really the weather or my body's reaction to the food but I'm better now.



I am getting picked up in an hour by the same group of people from yesterday. We are going to a fish joint (which also serves plantains according to Pablo, just for me) and then "going out", whatever that means here in Ghana. 



We are going to plan what we are doing this weekend tonight but the options seem to be a waterfall or a surfer beach. I'd be down for both. The tendency was the beach I think. I'll have to keep in good touch with the people who are still here the next few weeks so I can try to do and see as much as possible. 






Baci V

No comments:

Post a Comment