Friday, March 21, 2014

Sure is hot out adventure outside of Korle Bu Day 4

Grrrrr.... I knew it wouldn't last forever but I now have a roommate. She is very nice so no fault to her. It's just I'd rather have a room for myself. It's so much to take in everyday and I just recently moved out of my apartment in Germany so that I could live alone. I'm just being a complainer, sorry. I'll get over it.

So today we did rounds on the gynecology ward. I was told to be there at 9:15. I eventually found the right place at about 9:20. Only one other student was present and shortly after me another one joined. So it was us three girls, the main consultant and two doctors. The main consultant asked where the others were and the one girl tried to cover for them. He was not amused and said he was disappointed in this groups attendance rate. Thank you! Finally someone comments on it! (Sorry that was the German in me). During the next half hour the others started to come in and join. 

The wards are quite different here. While in Germany patients tend to try to get a private room and are often annoyed by roommates (I might have that symptom), here, all patients are in one big room with the beds placed where it fits. I don't think the patients would dare complain or even think to. There is still a very old fashioned respect system here. The patients don't really talk unless talked to, the students respond very quietly to consultant questions and seem to have great respect. Now, I have respect for my superiors in Germany too as long as they act accordingly. The students here are almost afraid of them. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl or because I'm white or both, but me and the one doctor where getting along great last night on duty.

We saw multiple patients and again the doctor was great at bedside teaching. He always brings things into perspective for the students. He urges them to think within their realm of possibilities. For instance, while discussing ovarian cancer and how one can diagnose it, the student mentioned looking for a tumor marker. The consultant said he was correct but also asked him what he would do if he was in a village hospital where there wasn't a lab that could do that. Korle Bu has that possibility but not all would be working there. He often mentioned what might be done in facilities with more money but would always direct the conversation to what they could do here and now.

A few students were talking while the consultant was discussing things with the doctor and the rest of us. That kind of stuff annoys me but I tend to try to ignore it. He did not. He turned to them, asked what kind of conference was going on and that the three of them could go. So they had no other option but to leave! No warning, just consequence. I'm okay with that.

Afterwards, a tutorial on a partograph was supposed to take place. I would have found this quite interesting. Sadly, it was canceled because the doctor was not available.

I headed to the Internet building but got no connection. I went to MedDiner knowing the German would be there at 2. I ordered and sat outside waiting. He happened to walk by on his way to the hostel, told me he'd just go change quick and then join me. I had vegetable fried rice and plantains. The plantains are really yummy. We decided that we would meet up in an hour and then head into town with the spaniard girl. 

On my walk home I bought a pineapple, papaya, bananas and mango....for 8 Cedis! And it's crazy yummy too. While walking past the school, two little kids ran across the street, grabbed my hands and started hugging me. They were so cute. To get them out of harms way, I brought them back onto the other side of the road. There, we were met by a huge crowd of kids. They all wanted to hug me and kissed my hand. I took pictures with them and chatted a bit. I even recognized some of them. This could turn into a daily occasion, who knows how many little friends I'll have by the end of my time here. 

I quickly headed back to my hostel only to change and charge my phone before walking back to the hostel of the others. Alexis, Maria and I left to find a Vodafone store. Along the way, Alexis's friend Alex joined us. We grabbed a cab into town. The cabs are quite cheap here, even cheaper though are the tro-tros. Passenger shared cabs that don't seem to have a schedule but they get you were you want to go and might only cost you less than 1 Cedis.

The cab dropped us off at the Vodafone store and I was able to get a SIM card for my phone and now have Internet! We walked to the market. I don't know if this market is any kind of confined place because the whole town was one enormous market. Everyone seemed to be selling something. The streets were lined with vendors. You could probably find anything here if you looked long enough. There were also a lot of kids again. A lot of them would say hi and want you to take their picture. Alex wasn't really having it and told me not to give in because then they wouldn't leave us alone....well I like kids sir. I took a picture. 

The streets became more of pathways and the they continuously became more narrow, every inch seemed to be used as selling ground. Chickens, goats and dogs were running around. In between stores there would be the occasional hairdresser. A lot of the vendors addressed us, wanting us to buy their goods. We also walked over a big open area that was just overflowing with plantains and avocados and more. So much produce, I have no idea where that is all supposed to go before it goes bad. We were on the search for a machete for Alexis but were not successful. Maria bought some Ghanaian music from some boys and we got ourselves some fresh coconuts. After that, we got into a tro-tro which transported us back to Korle bu.

I returned to my hostel to relax a bit and eat some really yummy fruit while the plans were being made for the night via what'sapp in the group I was added to by Alexis. Then, my former one night roommate returned out of the blue. And just like that, I had a roommate. Roommates always mean a big adjustment. Especially when you literally share a room and not just apartment. Luckily she is nice. Nonetheless this means having to plan a lot more when it comes to getting ready or getting things done.

The group decided we would go to the beach resort opposite of Korle bu. The guys were nice enough to pick me up. We left the Korle Bu campus and only drove a bit before entering through a gate and parking. Immediately I saw the big pool. I really had the urge to jump in. It must be some kind of resort. It also recently opened or so I was told when I tried ordering a cocktail and the waiter informed me that they only had Long Islands right now since they were just building up their menu. I tried a Ghanaian beer instead. Wasn't half bad. It was a lot of fun sitting there with Alexis, Maria, Pablo and Michael. We chatted for quite a while. The place seemed to want to close so we left. We stopped by, who they call, the beer lady and picked up another beer. Then we headed to Pablo's apartment. Pablo is one of the doctors in Korle Bu and was responsible for the exchange students at one point and is still pretty active in that field. He lives with David, whom I had met at the Vodafone store by chance. They have a lot more room and a living room with couches. We started watching Anchorman 2 but only half way. It was 1AM and we were all tired. They dropped me off at home and I tried as quietly as possible to get ready and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment